The dough for these easy roll and bake sugar cookies are easy to roll out does not require chilling overnight and holds up really well to frosting and decorations. I will always remember making cookies with my mom and how crabby she would get by the end of the marathon process. These are so much easier to make and they hold up really well to the decorations and frosting and taste good.
- 1 c unsalted butter
- 1 c granulated white sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 c all purpose flour
- 2 lb (1 bag) powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp whole milk
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- Food coloring
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- In the bowl of your mixer cream room temperature butter and sugar until smooth.
- Beat in extracts and egg
- In a separate bowl combine baking powder and salt with flour.
- Add to wet ingredients until the dough is crumbly but starting to come together.
- Dump the dough out onto a lightly flowered work surface or parchment paper.
- Knead the dough by hand.
- Divide dough into workable batches, roll out onto a floured surface and cut into shapes.
- Transfer shapes to a parchment paper-lined baking sheet
- Cookies should be rolled to 1/4 to 1/8 inch (thicker for children’s cookies
- Bake at 350° F for 9-10 minutes. Let cool on the cookie sheet until firm enough to transfer to a cooling rack.
- Beat powdered sugar, vanilla, and butter in a bowl until smooth.
- Add milk a little at a time to reach desired consistency.
- Stir in food coloring to reach the desired color.
- Decorate cookies and allow frosting to set.