Do you have your favorite Rice Krispies bars recipe? It’s one of those classic desserts that everyone has made for kids or a potluck or two (perhaps in a church basement!) I love a simple dessert, but knew I wanted to dress my recipe up a bit and came up with the additions of peanut butter, sweetened condensed milk, crushed peanuts, and Maldon sea salt flakes to make this the best Rice Krispies Treats recipe around.
Video Tutorial: How To Make Rice Krispies Treats
Rice Krispies Treats Ingredients and Tips
What I love about this no-bake treat is how easy it is to make. It’s a classic that is sure to please a crowd, and is both satisfying and nostalgic. I have a few tips and tricks to help you make the perfect dessert bars for your next gathering:
- Sweetened Condensed Milk Is the Secret Ingredient: This just adds wonderful richness and texture. I melted it with the peanut butter and the resulting mixture is just perfect.
- Choose your favorite crispy rice cereal: I used the OG Rice Krispies, but you can go with a generic version if you want. Choose your favorite and have at it.
- Peanuts Add Wonderful Flavor The crunch of peanuts and peanut butter makes this comfort dessert even better. The dessert is perfectly sweet, with a wonderful texture and melty peanut butter with the sweetened condensed milk is the secret.
- Flaky sea salt makes a difference: Add a sprinkle at the end to amp up the flavor and give these crispy rice bars a boost while balancing out the sweetness of the sweetened condensed milk.
Rice Krispies Treats Equipment
Note: these are affiliate links
A Colorful Rice Krispies Treats Variation
Check out the notes of the recipe for a colorful twist on the recipe. It’s perfect for a kids birthday party and includes the sweetened condensed milk!
3 More Easy Dessert Recipes
Looking for more simple, classic dessert ideas? Try these favorites, that are just as easy and satisfying, and also work well for serving desserts to a crowd:
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1⁄4 cup peanut butter
- 1 bag mini marshmallows
- 6 cups crispy rice cereal
- 1 teaspoon flaked sea salt
- 2 Tbsp crushed peanuts
- Spray an 8×8-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large pot, melt butter over medium heat. Add sweetened condensed milk and peanut butter and stir to combine. Bring the mixture to a simmer, stirring constantly
- Add marshmallows and stir until melted.
- Remove the pot from heat and add the rice cereal with a clean rubber spatula.
- Stir until well-coated.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish and press into an even layer.
- Crush peanuts with the back of a chef's knife and add crushed sea salt.
- Sprinkle over the bars while still warm.
- Cool to room temperature before cutting and serving.
For a colorful twist, omit the peanut butter, add an extra tablespoon of butter and swap out half the marshmallows for a bag of colored marshmallows. Add sprinkles into the melted butter and sweetened condensed milk mixture and top with more sprinkles at the end!