December 15, 2023
The “Taco Braid” is all the hype on Tik Tok, so I decided to try it myself for a great Game Dau sit in front of the TV dinner. It’s essentially a creative and visually appealing way of presenting a taco filling encased in a braided or woven pattern of dough.. Remember that this recipe has many variations, and you can customize the filling and seasonings according to your preferences.
We used crescent roll pizza dough for this recipe, but honestly, its pretty sweet – If I did this again, I would do a savory pizza dough in the freezer section, or I would make my own – Here is a recipe for you to try and don’t forget the Heres The Deal Taco seasoning, its great and has all the spicy, smokey, chipotle hits you need for this dish.
1 refrigerated pizza crust or roll of crescent dough
1 tablespoons olive oil
½ cup chopped onion
1 lb. ground beef
1 garlic clove grated on a microplane grater
3 Tbsp Taco Seasoning (I like Here's the Deal Taco Seasoning) but you can choose your favorite
2 Tbsp Salsa
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese divided
2 Tbsp butter melted
2 cups chopped lettuce, chopped tomato, black olives, pickled jalapeno, sour cream and taco sauce or salsa for if desired
- Preheat oven to 375
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and cook 4 minutes until the onion is soft.
- Add the ground beef and cook until brown. Stir in the grated garlic, the Heres The Deal Taco seasoning, and 2 Tablespoons salsa and mix until well incorporated.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5-7 minutes to reduce the liquid in the mixture.
- Transfer the piece of parchment to your work surface and roll out the pizza dough using a rolling pin to measure 10 x 15 inches. With a knife or pizza cutter, make slices 1½ inches thick and 3 inches long down both long sides of the dough.
- Leaving about an inch at the top and bottom, place the ground beef down the center of the dough. Cover the beef with 3/4 cup of the cheese.
- Beginning at one end of the braid, fold the end up and wrap the first two slices over to secure it. Repeat the wrapping with opposite slices just until the last two. Fold the end up and wrap the last two slices over it to secure.
- Gently brush the top and sides with the melted butter. Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup of cheese on top.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until golden brown. Allow to cool for a few minutes before serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.