May 17, 2022
Yield: 1 cup
A shrub is a concentrated syrup that combines fruit, sugar, and vinegar. This one features delicious, tart rhubarb.
- 3 cups rhubarb, chopped about 1/4 inch - 1/2 inch thick
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- Mix rhubarb, vinegar, and granulated sugar in a small saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring as the rhubarb begins to break down.
- When the mixture comes to a boil, reduce heat to low and cook until the rhubarb is completely broken down into a jammy consistency, about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and pour into a fine-mesh strainer. Allow the mixture to strain until it stops dripping about 20 - 30 minutes. You can stir the mixture gently once or twice to help it strain, but do not press on it. (Save the solids and use them as a flavoring for yogurt, ice cream, or as a rough jam for toast. Alternately stir the rough jam into a muffin mix and make rhubarb muffins or rhubarb bread.
- Pour the resulting shrub into a mason jar or cruet and store in the refrigerator.
Shrubs can be used in drinks but also in Salad dressings and marinades.