The 2020 dinner parties basically ended in March when the global pandemic forced everything to shut down. I loved hosting dinner parties. It was fun to set a pretty table and cook new dishes or try new dessert recipes. I liked picking the menu, the wine, and the signature cocktail that I would serve when people came in the door. A signature cocktail is a great way to welcome your guests and prep them for the coming meal. You can theme the cocktail with the meal or simply just make something seasonal and fresh, like this pineapple basil daiquiri.
I am working on a project with a coworker, and we decided to rent an office for 8 weeks and expand our “pandemic bubble” to include each other. Our husbands are friends, so we celebrated our bubble expansion by having them over for dinner. We played a game of Heads Up (Suggested by Ellen Degeneres), but we did laugh. We served Beef Bourguignon, my second loaf of sourdough bread, and this signature cocktail, which was not seasonal or themed to the menu – it just sounded good.
- 2 oz white rum
- 1/2 oz honey
- 1/2 oz lime juice
- 2 oz pineapple juice
- 6 basil leaves, reserve one for garnish
- Place 5 leaves of basil into a shaker and muddle.
- Add 1/2 oz of lime juice, 1/2 oz of honey, 2 oz of white rum, and 2 oz of pineapple juice.
- Fill the shaker with ice cubes and shake.
- Finely strain into a chilled coupe or martini glass.
- Garnish with small basil leaf floated on top.
Check out all my recipes here.