You may have seen one-pot pasta dishes being made on Tik Tok or Instagram. The allure is obvious, easy one pot pasta creates fewer dirty dishes. One pot pasta dishes are also incredibly flavorful because the pasta is cooked in broth and the pasta and the sauce and veggies all come together in one delicious pot.
Typically, when making a pasta dish, you boil noodles in heavily salted water to absorb seasoning from the start. With one-pot pasta, because you are cooking in broth, the noodles are absorbing the flavor of the sauce as they cook. This is a huge bonus from a flavor perspective and is going to be a game-changer for you! It saves time and makes for a flavorful one-pot dish.
What is it about Mushrooms and Sage and Cream that go so wonderfully together? Add the silky pasta and it’s always a winner. This dish could easily be at home with chopped chicken breast added. Cut chicken breast pieces into one-inch portions and toss them with the noodles and broth while the noodles are cooking. Add a 1/3 cup more broth or water and the chicken gets poached in the cooking liquid. Give this delicious one-pot meal a try and drop a message in the comments and let me know what you think.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 cups chopped portobello mushrooms
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 4 cups (1 qt) chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 lb farfalle pasta
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- 10 fresh sage leaves
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion into the pot and brown for one to two minutes and stir.
- Add mushrooms and garlic, and stir to incorporate with the onion. Season with salt and pepper to taste as well as thyme, red pepper, salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Add chicken broth and heavy cream to the pot and stir. Bring to a boil, then add the pasta.
- Cook 12 minutes, being sure to stir every 1-2 minutes to keep the pasta from clumping together.
- When the pasta is al dente, add the sage leaves and stir until incorporated.
- Add parmesan and stir until it’s well incorporated and you’re left with a smooth sauce.
- Finish with the lemon zest.