Those of you who follow me on Instagram and listen to my radio show, Weekly Dish, know I have a complicated relationship with my Cuisinart Air Fryer Toaster Oven, and that I keep it in the garage because it has not yet earned counter space in my house. As you all know, air fryers have become increasingly popular in recent years due to their ability to cook food with minimal oil. While I am still dubious that it cooks better than my convection oven, it has been a lifesaver for small families and single folks who seem to use it almost every day.
When I was asked to come up with a game day “Taste Buds” recipe, I knew I would do pizza fingers as I like to call them—also known as pizza rolls—and I do make these in the air fryer. I also love these cute Skol bowls by Minnesota Maker Debbie Wolk. I recorded a podcast with Debbie and I admire her beautiful ceramic work. You can listen to the podcast I recorded with her on Makers of Minnesota here then you should make these tasty pizza rolls.
Here are some of the benefits of using an air fryer if you are considering adding one to your kitchen:
- 12 egg roll wrappers
- 12 4 inch long mozzarella string cheese sticks
- 1 package pepperoni
- 3 Tablespoons melted butter
- Teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 garlic clove grated on a microplane
- Marinara sauce for dipping
- Set up an area for assembling the pizza sticks. Working with one egg roll wrapper at a time, lay an egg roll wrapper on a plate. Place three pepperoni diagonally on the wrapper down the middle and lay the cheese stick on the pepperoni.
- Wet the edges of the wonton, tuck in the ends, and roll the wonton around the cheese stick tight.
- Melt the butter and add the garlic and Italian seasoning
- Air fry at 350 degrees for 5 minutes, then brush each finger with the butter sauce
- Air fry for one minute more until brown and toasty
- Serve with marinara dipping sauce