The first time I had a Mint Julip was at the Churchill Downs race-track. I wish I had been at the Kentucky Derby, but I was there for a work event catered by the horse track. The race track is historic and stately, and beautiful. I loved the fancy Mint Julip metal cups that they serve Mint Julips in. The cups remind me of the Copper Mugs that you use when making a Moscow Mule. I love a good Moscow Mule with Vodka at home, but I typically use a rocks glass. This Maker’s® Mule is a great twist on the drink.
The bourbon Moscow Mule is sweet and crisp with just the right gingery bite. Perfect for the warm days of Summer ahead but great any time of year. If you are fancy, you can make your ginger drink syrup by boiling and straining a cup of water with ½ cup sugar and ¼ cup grated fresh ginger.
- 2 parts Maker's Mark Bourbon
- 1/2 part fresh lime juice
- 4 muddled pieces of fresh fruit or a squeeze of puree*
- 1 dash Angostura® aromatic bitters
- Cold ginger beer
- Muddle your fruit in a shaker.
- Add Maker's Mark, lime, and bitters.
- Shake and strain into a glass with ice.
- Top with ginger beer.
- Garnish with fruit of your choice.
Check out all my drink recipes here.