This recipe is complete magic and not much of a recipe as you take a can of Sweetened Condensed Milk, wrap it in foil and cook it in the Instant Pot for heavenly Dulce De Leche or Instant Pot Salted Caramel for the non fancy folks like me. Dip your apples and enjoy. When I thank the heavens for my Instant Pot this recipe comes to mind!
- 1 14 oz can Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tsp coarse salt
- Peel the label off the can
- Pull the lid off the can
- Securely cover the top of the can with a square of tinfoil folded around the top. The tin foil should extend down 2/3 of the way down the can.
- Place the can on the metal trivet in your Instant Pot
- Add approximately eight cups of water around the can in your pot so that the can is halfway submerged
- Secure the lid, and cook on Manual for 40 minutes. Quick release when done and carefully remove the can from the pot (it will be hot)
- Remove the foil and let rest for 20 minutes to cool
- Carefully stir vanilla into the can. You will stir for about two minutes until the caramel absorbs the vanilla and has a creamy versus lumpy consistency
- Pour into a container or a ramekin and top with coarse salt
- Store any leftover caramel in a mason jar in the refrigerator
You can cook 3-4 cans at a time with this method to make more caramel