The list keeps getting longer of FRESH CROCKTOBER recipes. This curry red lentil and coconut soup recipe comes together in the Instant Pot, but you could also stew it all day in the Crock Pot. Because I like carmelizing the onions to build flavor, my preference is to use the Instant Pot. If you want to set it and forget it the slow cooker route works too.
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves micro-planed with a grater
- 2 Tbsp fresh ginger micro planed with a grater (I do not peel)
- 1 tablespoon medium curry paste
- 1 tsp turmeric
- a pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- a pinch of ground cloves
- 1 cup red lentils
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 (5.5 -ounce) can of V8 vegetable juice
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2/3 cup finely chopped cilantro stems and leaves plus an extra Tbsp for garnish
- 1 (13.5-ounce) can of unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 lime - half juiced, half cut into lime wedges for serving.
1. Turn Instant Pot to saute
2. Heat coconut oil and cook onion, stirring often, until softened and golden brown
3. Add garlic, ginger, curry paste, turmeric, red pepper flakes, and cloves and cook, stirring, until fragrant,
4. Add lentils, tomatoes, juice, water, ½ cup cilantro and coconut milk to pot.
5. Set on Manual and cook 15 minutes and let naturally release for another 10 minutes until lentils are soft but not mushy
6. Stir in lime juice
7. Season soup with salt and pepper into taste
8. Garnish with limes wedges and additional cilantro