- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry
- 2 tablespoons Dijon Mustard
- (2 cups) Gruyere cheese, shredded
- 1 1/2 pounds medium or thick asparagus
- ¼ cup Shredded Parmesan Cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Roll the puff pastry, on a sheet of parchment paper into a 16-by-10-inch rectangle. (If you have less asparagus than the recipe calls for you can use an 8×10 or 8 x 8 square and cut back on the cheese and mustard a bit) Move the parchment around as you are rolling the dough out to help you get leverage and an even thickness. Trim uneven edges so you get a pretty square or rectangle. Place parchment sheet and pastry on a baking sheet. With a fork, lightly dock pastry dough in a line 1 inch in from the edges to mark a rectangle. Pierce dough inside the markings at 1/2-inch intervals.
- Brush the bottom of the dough with Dijon Mustard
- Trim the bottoms of the asparagus spears to fit crosswise inside the tart shell; arrange in a single layer over Gruyere, alternating ends and tips.
- Season with salt and pepper
- Top with Parmesan cheese
- Bake until golden, about 20 minutes.