I love Fall recipes. Braises, soups, noodle bakes, and all the hearty fare that sticks to your ribs like this cheesy bread pudding. Serve it with a green salad with green goddess dressings, and you have a perfect Fall Meal.
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 5 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup cream
- 2 cups Gruyère cheese
- 1 cup Mozzarella cheese (1/2 cup reserved)
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 garlic cloves, minced or grated on a micro-plane grater
- 2 cups spinach
- ¼ cup fresh dill
- ⅓ cup fresh chives, chopped
- Kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 loaf stale crusty sourdough bread, cut into 1-inch cubes (about 5-6 cups bread)
- Grease a 9x12-inch casserole dish with butter.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs until lightly beaten.
- Whisk the milk and cream into the eggs until combined.
- Add 1 cup of the Gruyere cheese along with the 1/2 cup of Mozzarella, Parmesan cheese, mustard, garlic, spinach, dill, and chives to the egg mixture, and stir until combined.
- Season the custard with salt and pepper.
- Add the cubed bread to the custard and gently toss the bread until each piece is fully coated.
- Transfer the bread mixture to the casserole dish. Cover the casserole dish with plastic wrap and place the pudding in the refrigerator to chill for a minimum of 1 hour or overnight.
- When you’re ready to cook the bread pudding, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Remove the casserole dish from the refrigerator and sprinkle the remaining ½ cup of Mozzarella cheese over the top of the bread pudding.
- Place the baking dish in the oven and bake until the top is golden brown, and the pudding is set, about 40 minutes.
- Remove the pudding from the oven and allow it to cool for 15 minutes before slicing into individual portions and serving warm.