I wish I was more comfortable cooking fish at home. Besides Asian food, it is the food I have the most trouble cooking at home, and it’s arguably the easiest if you follow Coastal Seafoods and our friend Keane Amdahl who has a local cookbook Lake Fish: Modern Cooking with Freshwater Fish.
Salmon cooked in the oven or air fryer seems to be one of the dishes I have mastered. The result is tender, delicious, quick, and easy. Air fryer salmon takes 10 minutes, is low carb and browns wonderfully and the result is like restaurant quality seafood at home. Find your favorite seasoning. I like Heather’s Dirty Goodness original seasoning or Luvafoodie’s citrus seasoning. Set the air fryer to 400 and rub each fillet with olive oil, season, and air fry for 7-9 minutes, depending on the thickness of the salmon.
This recipe for baked salmon with pesto and herb goat cheese crust has become my go to salmon preparation at home. The pesto is something I always have on hand and The Humble Goat’s herb goat cheese is a light and tangy flavorful edition. You can cook this in the air fryer but I usually only go about 7 minutes and check the fish because I don’t want the cheese to burn.
This dish is great served with rice or couscous dressed with lemon vinaigrette and a handful of fresh herbs like basil, dill, cilantro or parsley. Serve alongside a salad topped with avocado for a perfectly balanced meal with plenty of healthy fats and omega 3s.
- 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 large garlic clove
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups basil leaves
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 (8-ounce) wild caught salmon fillet
- ½ tsp kosher salt, plus more for brining
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp basil pesto
- 2 oz Humble Goat Garlic Herb Goat Cheese
- Sliced lemon for garnish
For the Pesto
1. In a food processor, combine pine nuts, lemon juice, garlic, salt, pepper, and pulse until well chopped.
2. With the food processor running, drizzle in the olive oil and pulse until combined. Add the parmesan cheese and briefly pulse to combine.
For the Salmon
1, Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Season the salmon with salt and pepper.
3. Combine 2 Tbsp pesto with 2 oz of The Humble Goat Garlic & Herb Goat Cheese. Spread on top of the salmon.
4. Roast in a 400 degree F oven for 10 minutes until fish is cooked through. Fish will be just cooked. Add one or two minutes longer for more well done fish.
5. Serve with fresh lemons.