This dough is easy to roll out, does not require chilling overnight and holds up really well to frosting and decorations.
- 1 Cup unsalted butter
- 1 Cup granulated white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
Preheat oven to 350° F.
- In the bowl of your mixer cream room temperature butter and sugar until smooth.
- Beat in extracts and egg.
- In a separate bowl combine baking powder and salt with flour.
- Add to wet ingredients until the dough is crumbly but starting to come together.
- Dump the dough out onto a lightly flowered work surface or parchment paper.
- Knead the dough by hand.
- Divide dough into workable batches, roll out onto a floured surface and cut into shapes.
- Transfer shapes to a parchment paper-lined baking sheet
- Cookies should be rolled to 1/4 to 1/8 inch (thicker for children’s cookies)
- Bake at 350 for 9-10 minutes. Let cool on the cookie sheet until firm enough to transfer to a cooling rack.
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1 package powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Beat powdered sugar, vanilla, and butter in a bowl until smooth.
Add milk a little at a time to reach desired consistency.
Stir in food coloring to reach the desired color.
Decorate cookies and allow frosting to set.