If you have overindulged for the holidays, you’re not alone. This feeling of to much imbibing has sparked the popularity of “Dry January,” a 31-day alcohol-free challenge to get your health back on track. Dry January has many benefits. From improved sleep to better eating habits, most people will start to see the health benefits of cutting booze in just two days, and the more the days go on the benefits start to stack up.
Whether dry January is about resetting your body and detoxing from all the liquor you’ve downed since Thanksgiving — or if it’s about exploring your relationship with alcohol without a long-term commitment – having mocktail alternatives can make the transition easier. Mocktails can bridge the transition from water and sodas into something a bit more festive in a social setting. Because “Dry January” doesn’t have to mean you stop going out for drinks with friends or having people over, it just means you need to have an intentional plan for how you are going to handle your beverage choices. Here are some locations that have thoughtfully crafted Mocktails and beverage options alongside their boozier offerings, as well as some mocktail recipes to try at home.
- Having a wide variety of glassware including low balls, collins, and stem glasses
- Fresh herbs and citrus
- Soda water, kombucha, ginger ale
- Bitters, shrubs, and drink syrups
- Festive straws and drink picks for garnishes
Cranberry Kombucha Mocktail
- 1/2 inch slice of fresh ginger, thinly sliced, plus more for garnish
- 1 large sprig fresh rosemary, plus more for garnish
- 1/4 c 100% cranberry juice
- 1 12 oz bottle (original or ginger Kombucha)
- Fresh cranberries, rosemary sprigs and thinly sliced ginger for garnish
- Fill a double old-fashioned glasses with ice and set aside.
- In a mason jar, muddle sliced ginger and rosemary together using the end of a wooden spoon or a muddler if you have one.
- Add cranberry juice and kombucha to fill, stir gently to combine.
- Pour into ice-filled glasses (using a strainer, if necessary) and garnish with sprigs of rosemary, a slice of fresh ginger and a few cranberries before serving.
Strawberry Rose Lemonade Mocktail
- 2 tbsp Strawberry Sharab Shrubs
- Fentiman’s Rose Lemonade
- 1 large sprig mint
- Cucumber for garnish
- Fill a rocks glass with ice and set aside.
- Pour 2 tbsp strawberry shrub into a collins glass.
- Add Fentiman’s Rose Lemonade to fill.
- Garnish with mint and cucumber.
Apple Pie Mule
- 2 oz apple cider
- 1/2 bottle of ginger beer
- cinnamon sticks and apple slices for garnish
- Fill a copper mug with crushed ice.
- Pour half of the apple cider mixture into each mug.
- Top each mug with ginger beer until full.
- Garnish with cinnamon sticks and apple slices.
- 4 oz Summer Lakes Bootleg Beverage mix
- Soda water
- Mint sprig and lime for garnish
- Fill a collins glass with crushed ice.
- Pour 4 oz Summer Lakes beverage mix into the glass
- Top glass with soda water until full.
- Garnish with mint and lime slices.
- Add straw
Apple Grapefruit Rosemary Sparkler
- 2 o Sharab Shrubs apple rosemary shrub mix
- Spindrift grapefruit soda water
- Grapefruit twist for garnish
- Fill a cocktail shaker with shrub and Soda water with ice.
- Pour into a champagne glass or flute.
- Garnish with a grapefruit twist.