This Swedish meatballs recipe is adapted from “Savoring The Seasons of the Northern Heartland” by Beth Dooley and Lucia Watson
Swedish Meatballs Recipe
- 2 slices white bread, crusts removed – or 2/3 cup panko
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 egg beaten
- 2 tablespoons Ricotta cheese
- 1-1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tsp allspice
- 1 tsp cardamom
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp dried dill
- 1/2 c fresh dill cut up with scissors
- 1 large onion grated or finely chopped
- 1 lb ground beef – 70-80% fat
- 1 lb pork
- 1-1/2 cups beef broth
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 c heavy cream
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Soak bread crumbs in milk (if using Panko mix the remaining ingredients).
- Mix with beaten egg, ricotta, spices, dill, onion, ground meat.
- Mix with your hands until all ingredients are combined.
- Shape meatballs into 1.5 wide (approx a tablespoon meat per scoop).
- Bake meatballs on a cookie sheet at 450 for 13 minutes (or until browned).
- Scrape brown bits from the cookie sheet into a dutch oven with the meat fat.
- Add the butter.
- Mix in the flour, stir scraping up all the brown bits until the fat is well incorporated into the fat.
- Add the stock until everything is incorporated.
- Add cream.
- Boil gravy, while continually whisking, until gravy coats the back of a spoon.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.