Technically this Instant Pot Risotto recipe actually takes about 15 minutes to prepare. Here’s why: it takes the Instant Pot about 10 minutes to come up to pressure and then 5 minutes to cook.
5-Minute Instant Pot Risotto
Serves 4 as a generous side dish
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, about 1 cup diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat the pressure cooker, by selecting sauté.
- Add the olive oil, butter, and onions.
- Sauté 3 minutes.
- Add the rice and garlic and sauté 1 minute more.
- Add 3 cups of chicken broth, salt and pepper, and stir.
- Secure the lid and turn pressure release knob to a sealed position.
- Cook at high pressure for 5 minutes.
- When cooking is complete, use a quick release.
- Unplug the pressure cooker, stir in parmesan cheese.
- Lemon Risotto: Stir in 2-3 tablespoons lemon juice when stirring in the parmesan cheese. Zest lemon over the dish as a garnish.
- Spinach Risotto: Stir in 2-3 cups spinach when adding the broth.
- Sun-Dried Tomato Risotto: Add 1/3 cup sun-dried tomatoes in oil when you sauté the rice and garlic.
- Pesto Risotto: Stir in 1/3 cup pesto when you add parmesan cheese before serving.