This recipe for baked rice with tomatoes and garlic is adapted from Yotam Ottolenghi’s Simple Cookbook. It is very versatile and can be easily made with the fruits and vegetables of the season.
Baked Rice with Tomatoes and Garlic
- 2 lb. cherry tomatoes
- 1 whole garlic bulb, peeled and roughly chopped into bite-size pieces
- Yellow onion, diced (approximately 1 cup)
- 1/3 – 1/2 cup cilantro stems, chopped plus 1/2 cup leaves, roughly chopped, to serve
- 3 Tbs. thyme leaves
- 8 Tbs. olive oil
- Salt and black pepper
- 1-1/2 cups basmati rice
- 2-1/2 cups boiling water
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Arrange the tomatoes, garlic, onion, cilantro stems and thyme in a large high-sided casserole dish, about 8×12 inches. Pour in the olive oil, add 1/2 tsp. of salt and a good grind of black pepper, and place in the oven for 1 hour, until the vegetables are soft. Remove from the oven, sprinkle the rice evenly over the vegetables, without stirring them together, and set aside.
- Increase the oven temperature to 450°F. Sprinkle 1/2 tsp. of salt and plenty of black pepper over the rice and then carefully pour the boiling water over the rice. Seal the dish tightly with foil and place in the oven for 25 minutes, until the rice is cooked. Remove from the oven and set aside for 10 minutes, still covered. Remove the foil, sprinkle with the cilantro leaves, stir these very gently into the rice, and serve.
Note – you can easily sub out seasonal vegetables and spices.